How To Find A Teen Therapist in NYC?
Adolescence is a formative time. From figuring out their place in the world to questioning their identity, navigating the teenage years often come with unique mental health challenges. However, when mental health symptoms interfere with your teen’s daily life, seek therapy to support and help them grow.
Fortunately, thanks to the immense growth of online therapy over the past few years, psychotherapy has evolved to meet the needs of the younger generation. Between flexible therapy appointments and online services for mental health treatment, adolescent therapy is more accessible than ever before.
Whether your teen is living with a diagnosable mental health condition, navigating complicated feelings, or dealing with other mental health challenges, teen therapy is the first step toward a brighter future. Here’s how to find the right therapist for your teen.
Where To Start Your Search
Finding the right therapist can feel like a daunting task. If you’ve already spent hours reading psychologist directories or comparing subscription plans, it might feel tempting to schedule an appointment with the closest adolescent therapist and hope for the best. However, studies consistently show that the therapeutic relationship matters—and finding the right therapist can make all the difference in your teen’s mental health journey.
If you’re unsure where to start, there are several resources to find teen counseling and mental health care. Some helpful resources for parents and adolescents include:
- Trusted healthcare providers. Consider talking to your teen’s primary care provider, nurse practitioner, or clinician. If you’re unsure where to start your search, your teen’s healthcare provider can refer you to a local teen therapy center, counselor, or family therapy group.
- School mental health resources. Meet with your teen’s school counselor to discuss their mental health concerns, learn about local teen therapy resources, and determine the best step forward for your teenager.
- Online therapy platforms. If you’re leaning toward online or in-person therapy, online therapy platforms can help you find the best fit for your teenager. For example, The Therapy Group of NYC offers an easy, convenient way for adolescents to access quality mental health treatment without sacrificing their social life or academics.
How To Find the Right Fit
Even if you’ve received a referral from your teen’s healthcare provider or school counselor, it’s essential to listen to your teenager and continue your search until you’ve found the best fit. Some people meet with multiple mental health providers before finding someone they feel comfortable with—and that’s completely normal.
Whether you’re considering in-person therapy or teletherapy, many therapists consider the first session essential to finding the right fit. The process is key to finding the right therapist and taking the first step toward positive change.
Before your teenager commits to their first session, you might also think about asking the following questions:
- What insurance providers do you accept, if any?
- What is your therapeutic approach? What type of therapy would you recommend?
- What’s your experience working with teenagers and families? Do you offer family therapy?
Supportive Teen Therapy in NYC
Whether your teen is navigating traumatic events, searching for emotional support, or struggling with anxious thoughts, psychotherapy can help you carve the path forward.
To find the right fit, reach out to an adolescent therapist through The Therapy Group of NYC. Our experienced mental health professionals are here to help you throughout your mental health journey, from scheduling your first appointment to learning healthy coping mechanisms. No matter what you’re going through, one of our compassionate therapists will help you take the first step toward better mental health.